December 23, 2006
All I want for Christmas
By Mark Sherman
Given the old adage, be careful what you ask for, I propose the following wish list for we the people. Some of them were on Thomas Jefferson’s list too.
1. That America stops trying to “export” democracy until we the people get one of our own.
2. We the people dissolve the current non-representative federal government.
3. We replace it with 10,000 of our fellow citizens elected from a random sample of 20,000 taxpayers from across the continent.
4. These 10,000 will serve one, and only one, 6-year term as representatives of we the people.
5. We the people will severely limit and specifically enumerate the powers of the federal government. Local governments have a better ability to listen to and decide local issues. The role of higher level governments is to ensure that local entities provide every citizen equal access to decision making.
6. No one serving as a representative of the people may receive any government benefit in the form of a pension, insurance, or health care greater than that provided by the government to the poorest of our citizens. We the people shall set compensation for our representatives by referendum question requiring support by two-thirds of the electors every 10 years.
7. The federal government shall have a balanced budget with debt no greater than can be paid in 18 years.
8. The federal Constitution shall be reviewed and approved by 2/3 of the electors every 20 years.
post a letter about this blog »